Using inspirations drawn from all our extensive overseas travels, I had formulated the look, feel and details of what I wanted from our home all in my headspace. From that, my husband and I started working on the floor plan using rough sketches at first. We then migrated these ideas into a CAD program. We visualised all the various spaces and how our family would live in this home and continued to revise the plans until we were satisfied that all our wants and needs were achieved. We began measuring our existing furniture for placement in the new home and I also begun designing the new furniture items and décor. We were also absolutely committed to producing an environmentally sustainable home. These were the main points we kept firmly in mind at all times:
- floor plan and building form
- construction materials
- orientation of our bedrooms and living areas
- window/glass type, size, orientation and energy/thermal efficiency
- shading solutions
- external finishes
- interior finishes
- heating/cooling system
- thermal and acoustic insulations
- major appliances eg: hot water system, solar / renewable energy system
- water systems eg: rainwater tanks, water recycling, septic tank
- landscape design
- interior design and finishes
We then commissioned an Architect, Engineer and private Certifier to vet our floor plan to ensure that it was achievable and would meet all appropriate regulatory and engineering requirements.
Total Home area – 500 sqm in size
Great Room – 90 sqm which consists of a living/dining/kitchen
2 Generous Studies
Kitchen design with an island and cabinets on both sides. Butler’s pantry with an oversize kitchen sink
Master bedroom suite – featuring
- large sliding doors which lead to a balcony with views to the nearby hills and mountains.
- ensuite with contoured bath which overlooks the scenic landscape and includes a walk-in shower and an oversize single basin placed in a custom vanity,
- built-in bespoke designed Walk In Robe
3 other oversized bedrooms, one of the bedrooms leads to the Juliet balcony. All have custom Built in Wardrobes.
Main bathroom upstairs and another downstairs
laundry with built-in custom cabinetry
3-4 car garage
An undercover alfresco entertainment area.